Faculty of Informatics and Statistics, Department of Information and Knowledge Engineering (DIKE)
- 2017-01-23 – 2017-01-26: Prof. Johannes Fürnkranz from university of Darmstadt will visit the group and teach a guest course on Inductive Rule Learning.
prof. Johannes Fürnkranz, http://fis.vse.cz/en/i_week/lecturers/#fuernkranz
- 2016-11-30: The JWS journal paper by T. Kliegr, joint with O. Zamazal (SWOE group) was ranked 3rd in the annual Rector’s award. Congratulations!
LHD 2.0: A text mining approach to typing entities in knowledge graphs, Cena rektora VŠE za prestižní publikaci 2016 – článek – výsledné ocenění
- 2016-11-25: We hosted a successful plenary meeting of the Horizon 2020 OpenBudgets.eu project, during which the first prototype of the software platform was officially announced. The meeting was preceded by a workshop on open fiscal data processing (in Czech).
OpenBudget, OpenBudgets Prototype Launch!, Workshop o publikování, vizualizaci a analytice rozpočtových dat – 23.11.2016
- 2016-11-23: SPARQLab was awarded the prize for the Best Student Project in the annual Czech OpenData Application contest. See also the article in the University online newsletter. (All materials are currently in Czech.)
SPARQLab, http://www.otevrenadata.cz/aktualni-deni/aplikace-roku-2016-hlidac-smluv-postavena-na-otevrenych-datech-identifikuje-zneuziti-moci-v-uradec/, Fakulta informatiky a statistiky získala cenu pro nejlepší studentskou aplikaci v soutěži „Společně otevíráme data 2016“
- 2016-10-16: A new PhD student, Jiří Zettel, is joining the group. He will be supervised by prof. Petr Berka and his topic will be related to data pre-processing for data mining.
- 2016-10-04: Tomáš Kliegr will give talk on association rule classification and the EasyMiner system developed by the DMKD group at the IEEE Days at the University of West Bohemia.
- 2016-10-04: Tomáš Kliegr gave a talk on association rule classification and the EasyMiner system developed by the DMKD group at the IEEE Days at the University of West Bohemia.
- 2016-10-01: The project “Pilot application for distributed analysis of big data” (led by T. Kliegr), funded by the CESNET association, has been successfully defended.
- 2016-10-01: The first version of SPARQLab, which is a web-based exercise-book for SPARQL language (authored by J. Mynarz, currently with Czech interface only), has been set up. The individual exercises consist in SPARQL query building according to a textual description. Each exercise is equiped with a an exemplary solution, to which is the student’s solution automatically compared. The current installation is underlain by a real-world RDF dataset (modeled according to the Data Cube Vocabulary) on Czech pension statistics. Topic-wise, the exercises concern both dataset exploration (such as finding out about the dimensions used) and domain-specific analyses (e.g., finding regions with highest disproportion between pensions of men and women.
- 2016-09-22: Upon invitation of V. Svátek, Steffen Staab is coming to give a talk at the Prague Computer Science seminar.
- 2016-09-22: Daniel Vodňanský presented a poster (on graph metrics over ontologies) at the KESW 2016 conference.
- 2016-09-20: Stanislav Vojíř has successfuly defended his PhD thesis “Business Rule Learning using data mining of GUHA association rules”. He remains member of our team.
- 2016-09-12 – 2016-09-16: We and a few collaborating groups enjoyed a visit of Giancarlo Guizzardi from UFES, Brazil, who among other gave a talk at the KEG seminar, and collaboration plans have been set.
- 2016-09-12 – 2016-09-15: Ondřej Zamazal presented a demo paper on a topic related to Ontology Visualization Tools Recommender (OVTR) at the SEMANTiCS 2016 conference.
- 2016-09-01: The article An ontological investigation over human relations in linked data (by Miroslav Vacura, Vojtěch Svátek and Aldo Gangemi) will appear in Applied Ontology.
- 2016-08-01: The LHD dataset developed by our group is available for download as part of the DBpedia 2015 release.
LHD dataset page, http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Downloads2015-10
- 2016-08-01: The article Adapting ontologies to best-practice artifacts using transformation patterns: Method, implementation and use cases (by Vojtěch Svátek, Marek Dudáš and Ondřej Zamazal) is online in Journal of Web Semantics.
- 2016-06-01: Ondřej Zamazal co-authored an article (first author is Tomáš Kliegr from the DMKD group): LHD 2.0: A text mining approach to typing entities in knowledge graphs, now published online in Journal of Web Semantics.
http://kizi.vse.cz/english/science/research-group-data-mining-and-knowledge-discovery-dmkd/, LHD 2.0: A text mining approach to typing entities in knowledge graphs
- 2016-06-01: A new paper by Tomáš Kliegr (and Ondřej Zamazal): LHD 2.0: A text mining approach to typing entities in knowledge graphs is just online in Elsevier’s Journal of Web Semantics. It follows up with the recent LHD paper in the same journal.
LHD 2.0: A text mining approach to typing entities in knowledge graphs, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570826814001048
- 2016-06-01 – 2016-11-30: Papers have been co/presented by the group members at:
EKAW: full paper on focused categorization power computation – Best Paper Award nomination; 5 papers nominated out of 51 accepted (i.e. 10%) and of 171 total submissions (i.e. 3%); see slides
FOIS (full paper on OWL+PURO event representation, plus CAOS workshop paper on deontic event ontology)
Three ISWC workshops: VOILA, OM (both papers are on PURO models: their authoring and transformation to OWL with entity reuse) and SemStats (fiscal linked data ETL from OpenBudgets.eu)
ESWC SumPre workshop (implementation of focused categorization power in OOSP)
SEMANTiCS (short paper on DB-quiz; five poster/demo papers on topics ranging from ontology benchmark building in OOSP tool, through generation of example instances of frequent paths in LODSight, to fiscal data modeling in OpenBudgets.eu; VoCarnival presentation of the JUP building accessibility vocabulary)
KESW (poster on graph metrics over ontologies)
Data+Znalosti/WIKT (Czecho-Slovak annual Comp.Sci. meetup): 4 short presentations.
OOSP, enhanced LODSight, DB-quiz, http://www.slideshare.net/svatek/categorization-power-of-ontologies-with-respect-to-focus-classes, http://ekaw2016.cs.unibo.it/, http://iaoa.org/fois/2016.htm, http://ebooks.iospress.nl/publication/44246, http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1660/caos-paper3.pdf, http://voila2016.visualdataweb.org, ttp://resources.visualdataweb.de/paper10.pdf, http://disi.unitn.it/~pavel/om2016/papers/om2016_poster9.pd, http://semstats.org/2016/, http://openbudgets.eu, http://km.aifb.kit.edu/ws/sumpre2016/, http://om2016.ontologymatching.org/, http://resources.visualdataweb.de/paper10.pdf, http://disi.unitn.it/~pavel/om2016/papers/om2016_poster9.pdf, http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1605/paper2.pdf, http://iaoa.org/fois/2016.html, http://2016.semantics.cc/vocarnival, http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/vocabs/jup, http://2016.kesw.ru/, https://wikt-daz2016.fiit.stuba.sk/
- 2016-04-01: T. Kliegr and his team presented EasyMiner at the popular Machine Learning Meetup.
EasyMiner homepage, http://www.mlmu.cz/
- 2016-02-16: The annual international XML Prague conference has been held on February 11-13, 2016, with Jirka Kosek as PC Chair.
- 2016-02-01: Successful MSc. thesis defences by Tomáš Hanzal (‘Modeling Events on the Semantic Web’) and Petr Hazuza (‘Vocabulary for Building Accessibility’). Congratulations, and this is not the end of our collaboration!
- 2016-02-01: The annual international XML Prague conference has been held on February 11-13, 2016, with Jirka Kosek as PC Chair.
- 2016-02-01: Successful MSc. thesis defences by Tomáš Hanzal (‘Modeling Events on the Semantic Web’) and Petr Hazuza (‘Vocabulary for Building Accessibility’). Congratulations, and this is not the end of our collaboration!
- 2016-02-01: For the third time in a row, Marek Dudáš succeeded in getting a PhD research support grant, now for the project ‘Using automated alignment and linguistic transformation in generating semantic data vocabularies’. He will coordinate a team of 3 faculty and 2 more PhD students.
- 2016-01-01: An article written by Petr Strossa (having his linguistic rather than semantic hat on) appeared in the Taylor&Francis Journal of Quantitative Linguistics
The Text Frequency of Czech Noun Declension Patterns
- 2015-12-02: The Czech TV showed a news story (on December 2) on the “Mapy bez bariér” (Maps without barriers) project, with Petr Hazuza demonstrating the building accessibility categories on his own flesh. Petr participates in this project as member of the Charter 77 Foundation and transfers there the ongoing results of his MSc thesis on the Building Accessibility Vocabulary.
- 2015-12-01: The fifth Know@LOD workshop was accepted to be held within the ESWC 2016 conference in Crete, June 2016.
- 2015-11-30 – 2015-11-31: The first plenary meeting of the OpenBudgets.eu EU project took place in Berlin (November 30 – January 1). Even before (September 26) Jindřich Mynarz co-presented a widely attended talk on “Self-decribing fiscal data” at the Berlin workshop of the SharePSI 2.0 project.
SharePSI 2.0 homepage, OpenBudgets, https://www.w3.org/2013/share-psi/workshop/berlin/agenda
- 2015-11-14: Jindřich Mynarz and Václav Zeman will talk about Czech DBpedia and DB-quiz at the Czech annual Wikimedia conference (page is in Czech).
Czech DBpedia, DB-quiz, Wikimedia conference
- 2015-11-14 – 2015-11-15: Jindřich Mynarz and Václav Zeman talked about Czech DBpedia and DB-quiz at the Czech annual Wikimedia conference (page is in Czech).
Czech DBpedia, DB-quiz, Wikimedia conference
- 2015-11-01: Marek Dudáš was awarded the Josef Hlávka Prize for outstanding PhD students and young academics, by the Hlávka Foundation. Congratulations!
- 2015-11-01: Marek Dudáš will be awarded the Josef Hlávka Prize for outstanding PhD students and young academics, by the Hlávka Foundation. Congratulations!
- 2015-11-01: Jan Rauch and Milan Šimůnek have been awarded the UEP Rector’s Prize for their book on the LISp-Miner system.
LISp-Miner homepage, UEP Rector’s Prize
- 2015-11-01: The book on “Big data and NoSQL databases” (in Czech), co-authored by Jirka Kosek, eventually appeared.
- 2015-10-01 – 2015-10-02: Vojtěch Svátek moderated the panel on PhD research & industrial cooperation, at the annual national database and knowledge engineering conference, Data&Znalosti (pages are in Czech).
Data&Znalosti, panel on PhD research & industrial cooperation
- 2015-09-01: Out of the 32 poster/demo papers accepted to the SEMANTiCS conference, only six outstanding ones have been selected for the main ACM volume and obtained a Honorary Mention… including both papers authored by SWOE!
- 2015-09-01: The LHD dataset developed by our group is available for download as part of the DBpedia 2015 release.
LHD dataset page, DBpedia 2015
- 2015-09-01: Tomáš Kliegr is starting his 6-month post-doc internship at University of Darmstadt. He will be mainly working with prof. Johannes Fürnkranz in the field of rule/preference learning.
prof. Johannes Fürnkranz
- 2015-09-01: David Chudán successfully defended his PhD thesis on Association rule mining as a support for OLAP on September 22. Congratulations! (David remains at the Department, now as project worker and manager funded from OpenBudgets.eu.)
LHD dataset page, DBpedia 2015
- 2015-09-01 – 2015-12-31: Papers have been presented by the group members at: SEMANTiCS (2 demos: of PCFA tool for ontology-augmented procurement data management from LOD2 WP9a, and of ontology path metrics from COSOL), ODBASE (procurement linked data matchmaking, also from LOD2 WP9a), WOP@ISWC (OBM2OWL transformation patterns), VOILA@ISWC (discovering issues in datasets using visual summaries created in enhanced LODSight), OWLED (OBM2OWL transformation using the OBOWLMorph tool), KEOD (ontology richness analysis using path metrics from COSOL), Data&Znalosti (2 student papers, by P. Hazuza and Š. Turečková).
Data&Znalosti, SEMANTiCS, LOD2 WP9a, COSOL, ODBASE, WOP@ISWC, VOILA@ISWC, enhanced LODSight, OWLED, OBOWLMorph, KEOD
- 2015-08-03: At the RuleML 2015 conference in Berlin, the DMKD team presented the new EasyMiner/R interface, and Tomáš Kliegr co-chaired the RecSysRules 2015 challenge.
RuleML 2015, EasyMiner/R, RecSysRules 2015
- 2015-07-25: Ondřej Vadinský presented his paper “Towards an Artificially Intelligent System: Possibilities of General Evaluation of Hybrid Paradigm” at the Tenth International Workshop on Neural-Symbolic Learning and Reasoning (NeSy’15) held within IJCAI’15, Buenos Aires.
Neural Symbolic, IJCAI 2015
- 2015-07-01: The group started to cooperate with the team of the newly started project, “Mapy bez bariér” (Maps without barriers), undertaken by the Charter 77 Foundation. The project (to be formally completed by end 2015) aims to provide machine-readable data on building accessibility for handicapped on the background of common map servers. Petr Hazuza is member of the project team on behalf of the Foundation, and develops the Building Accessibility Vocabulary as part of his MSc thesis. A poster on the project has been presented at the Data&Znalosti conference in October.
- 2015-06-01: Šárka Turečková defended her MSc thesis focused on DBpedia-powered quizz generator and strategic game (the programs are downloadable). From September she will be working towards another MSc, on Serious Games, at University of Skövde, Sweden.
DBpedia-powered quizz generator, Serious Games
- 2015-06-01: Václav Zeman defended his PhD project progress on “Data mining on linked data” (after first year).
- 2015-06-01: Jiří Hradil defended his PhD project progress on “Software ergonomics and trends of long-term sustainability of user interface” (after first year).
- 2015-06-01: Václav Zeman defended his PhD project progress on “Data mining on linked data” (after first year).
- 2015-05-31: The successful Know@LOD workshop with 3rd Linked Data Mining Challenge (LDMC), co-chaired by V. Svátek, was held at the ESWC2015 conference in Portoroz – it was the most attended of all 16 workshops.
Know@LOD workshop, 3rd Linked Data Mining Challenge
- 2015-05-14: Daniel Vodňanský defended his PhD project progress on “Data and information structures metrics” (after first year).
- 2015-05-03 – 2015-05-04: The ESWC 2015 conference featured three SWOE-based outcomes: the successful Know@LOD workshop (most attended of all!) with 3rd Linked Data Mining Challenge (LDMC), co-chaired by V. Svátek; the presentation of the LODSight (vocabulary-centric) linked dataset summarizer in the conference demo session, by M. Dudáš, and presentation of OOSP, Online Ontology Set Picker, within the SumPre workshop, by O. Zamazal.
Know@LOD workshop, 3rd Linked Data Mining Challenge, ESWC 2015, LODSight, OOSP, SumPre
- 2015-05-01: The EU LinkedTV Integrated project was concluded by a successful final review. The rating of the project eventually was ‘Excellent Progress’ (i.e., the best possible). A decent part of the project outcomes is due to the DMKD group development efforts (coordinated by T. Kliegr).
- 2015-05-01: The EU Horizon 2020 project OpenBudgets.eu (web still under construction) started. The DMKD team (led by V. Svátek) will contribute to the WP related to budget/spending open data mining.
- 2015-02-13 – 2015-02-15: The annual international XML Prague conference has been held on February 13-15, 2015, with Jirka Kosek as PC Chair.
- 2015-02-01: Marek Dudáš has been awarded a new PhD research support project, this time under the name ‘Generation of style variants of semantic data schemas using generalized data visualization’. 4 permanent staff members and 3 other students will collaborate on the project.
- 2015-02-01: Tomáš Kliegr has been awarded a CESNET grant on “Pilot application for distributed analysis of big data”, which will allow his team to employ the computing capacity of the CESNET Metacenter for the research tasks addressed by the DMKD group.
- 2015-02-01: David Pejčoch succesfully defended his PhD thesis on “complex management of data and information quality”.
- 2015-02-01: Stanislav Vojíř obtained the Best Paper award in the Applied Informatics category at the annual PhD research symposium of the Faculty.
- 2015-01-01: Jindřich Mynarz spent a month on internship in the Knowledge Engineering group at the University of Göttingen, mainly working on library data RDFization.
- 2015-01-01: The Czech DBpedia has been significantly enhanced. New extraction using an extended set of mapping rules has been made, new support datasets added, and the visualization interface enhanced.
- 2015-01-01: The EU Horizon 2020 project OpenBudgets.eu (web still under construction) started. The SWOE team is responsible for the WP related to budget/spending open data modeling.
- 2015-01-01: Vojtěch Svátek became Editorial Board Member of Elsevier’s Journal of Web Semantics.
Journal of Web Semantics
- 2014-12-11: The Prague Computer Science seminar series will continue by the talk of Carmen Domshlak from Technion, Izrael, on Unsupervised Heuristic Decision Making. (The seminar takes place at CU/CTU. It is advertised here because Vojtěch Svátek is member of the preparatory committee of the seminar.)
- 2014-11-24: The paper on the Linked Hypernym Dataset, by Tomáš Kliegr, has been accepted to Elsevier's Journal of Web Semantics.
Article page on preprint server
- 2014-11-03: In the Annual Rector's Award for best publications in 2014, Jindřich Mynarz's paper from EC-Web conference placed 2nd in the PhD student work category.
- 2014-11-01: A full paper on ‘Roadmapping and Navigating in the Ontology Visualization Landscape’, by Marek Dudáš, Ondřej Zamazal and Vojtěch Svátek, has been presented at the EKAW 2014 conference in Linköping. The paper is partly based on the Ontology Visualization Tools Recommender (OVTR) as application of the NEST expert system shell.
- 2014-10-14: The Linked Hypernym Dataset (LHD), a large collection of type assignments to RDF entities built by THD tool co-developed by Tomáš Kliegr, has been integrated into the official version of German DBpedia.
Announcement at de.dbpedia.org, LHD dataset page
- 2014-10-13: Jindřich Mynarz started a 2,5-month PhD internship at the Information Systems Laboratory of the Polytechnic University of Bari (upon invitation from Dr. Tommaso Di Noia). The internship is focused on combining the linked data technology with recommendation/matchmaking techniques.
SisInf Lab homepage
- 2014-09-26 – 2014-09-27: The 13th edition of the Czecho-Slovak knowledge technology conference, Znalosti, was co-chaired by Vojtěch Svátek and Ondřej Zamazal. It was probably the last edition, as from 2015 on, there will be a new conference combining the topics of Znalosti and Datakon (the Czecho-Slovak database conference). This witnesses the constant assimilation of database and knowledge/semantic technologies in the last decade.
Znalosti website, Datakon website
- 2014-09-11 – 2014-09-12: The EU LOD2 Integrated project, where the team led by V. Svátek was responsible for the Public Procurement Linked Data use case, was concluded by a successful final review. The rating of the project eventually was 'Excellent Progress' (i.e., the best possible).
LOD2 project website
- 2014-09-01: Two new PhD students enrolled and joined the group (both with V. Sklenák as Advisor): Jiří Hradil and Daniel Vodňanský. Jiří will focus on web application ergonomics and Daniel on information-theoretic properties of various web data representations. Note: for the sake of better topic match, Daniel later moved under another advisor, Jiří Ivánek, and is now mainly active in the IIS group.
- 2014-09-01: Three new full-time PhD students enrolled.
Jiří Hradil and Daniel Vodňanský (both supervised by V. Sklenák) will be mainly involved with the WELT group. Jiří will focus on web application ergonomics and Daniel on information-theoretic properties of various web data representations.
Finally, Václav Zeman (supervised by V. Svátek) will be involved in both the SWOE and DMKD groups. He will be working on novel linked data mining techniques, as well as on upkeeping the Czech DBpedia.
- 2014-09-01: A new PhD student, Daniel Vodňanský, enrolled in September 2014; after some internal optimization, he landed in the PhD team of J. Ivánek and joined the group. He will be working on application of information-theoretic measures on web data representations, and will also cooperate with the SWOE group (information content of ontologies etc.).
SWOE group page
- 2014-08-18 – 2014-08-20: At the RuleML conference collocated with ECAI 2014, Tomáš Kliegr co-organized a Special Track on 'Learning (Business) Rules from Data'.
Special Track page
- 2014-07-01: Article on 'Ontology alignment design patterns', co-autored by O. Zamazal, was published in Knowledge and Information Systems (Springer, IF=2.64).
- 2014-06-01 – 2014-12-31: Major conference publications by SWOE group in the 2nd half of 2014: full paper at EKAW (Springer LNCS); full paper and short paper at EC-web (Springer LNBIP). Besides, the SWOE and DMKD members co-authored two chapters of the `LOD2' book (also LNCS).
Knowledge Engineering Group, SWOE group page, LOD2 book announcement
- 2014-06-01: Dušan Broďáni successfully defended his early PhD project (after first year): “Methodology for introducing the RFID technology to libraries”.
- 2014-05-25: The second edition of the Linked Data Mining Challenge was co-organized by Vojtěch Svátek in connection with the Know@LOD workshop collocated with the ESWC conference in Crete. (Besides, Vojtěch co-chaired the LOD track at the main ESWC conference.)
- 2014-05-21: David Chudán's son, Matěj, was born. Congratulations!
- 2014-03-01: In 2014, two KEG proposals for IGA (university-level) research projects have been retained for funding. A new one is 'Semantic web data visualization exploiting the ontological schema structure', coordinated by Marek Dudáš. Furthermore, 'Research of factors affecting applicability of association rule mining algorithms', coordinated by Tomáš Kliegr, was extended from 2013 to 2014.
- 2014-02-14 – 2014-02-16: Jirka Kosek (as PC Chair) organised the annual XML Prague conference in UEP premises.
XML Prague 2014 homepage
- 2014-02-01: The SharePSI 2.0 European network, focused on the exchange of experience and ideas around implementing open data policies in the public sector, started. A joint UEP group, led by colleagues from the Dept. of Information Technology (but with participation of KEG) is one of the partners.
SharePSI 2.0 homepage
- 2014-01-21: The web page of the first of the proposed four DIKE focused research groups, SWOE (Semantic Web and Ontological Engineering), came into being. From now on, KEG will be gradually transformed into an 'envelope' overarching the new groups and mediating their direct collaboration.
SWOE group page
- 2014-01-01: Ondřej Zamazal succeeded, in a sharp competition, in obtaining a 3-year (2014-2016) post-doctoral project from the Czech Science Foundation: 'COSOL - Categorization of Ontologies in Support of Ontology Life Cycle'. Congratulation!
- 2013-12-13: Tomáš Kliegr became father of a daughter, Anna Marie. Big congratulations!
- 2013-11-28: The LOD2 project webinar on the ORE (Ontology Repair and Enrichment) tool, designed by University of Leipzig, featured, among other, a demo of the embedded functionality of Ondřej Zamazal's PatOMat services (a use case in naming pattern detection and transformation).
Slideshare page, ORE tool page, PatOMat tools page
- 2013-11-06: KEG was very successful in the Annual Rector's Award for best publications in 2013. Jan Rauch's book on 'Observational Calculi and Association Rules' (Springer) was won the book category, and Marek Dudáš' paper from EC-Web conference won the PhD student work category.
Book category results, PhD category results
- 2013-11-06 – 2013-11-08: KEG-grown tools for data/text mining and web engineering, such as EasyMiner, GAIN and THD, have been successfully presented within the LinkedTV project exhibition stand at the ICT 2013 conference in Vilnius.
ICT 2013 conference
- 2013-10-14: Vojtěch Svátek gave an invited talk on 'Reactive ontological engineering on the semantic web' at the annual Czecho-Slovak knowledge technology conference, Znalosti 2013.
- 2013-10-09: T.Kliegr and M.Dojchinovski co-organized an informal workshop (convened by S.Hellmann from Leipzig, within the LOD2 project) on NIF (NLP Interchange Format) and on benchmarking Wikipedia-Based NER.
- 2013-10-08: In the News Recommender Challenge (focused on recommending news articles in real-time) organized in conjunction with the ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, the InBeat tool developed by J. Kuchař and T. Kliegr within the LinkedTV project received a runner-up prize: it came second out of 17 participating systems. During the three weeks of the contest, it handled over 20 million recommendation requests. The tool (together with the GAIN platform) is also demoed at the main ACM RecSys conference.
Recommender Challenge page, InBeat tool page, RecSys'13 demo session
- 2013-10-07 – 2013-10-08: The local LOD2 team (V. Svátek, J. Mynarz, and colleagues) hosted the plenary meeting of this EU project.
Blogpost on the meeting
- 2013-09-23: The Workshop on Data Mining on Linked Data (DMoLD'13), with Linked Data Mining Challenge, has been held during the European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, ECML PKDD 2013, in Prague, with P. Berka and V. Svátek among the co-chairs. The workshop attracted the highest number of pre-registered among all the 12 ECML/PKDD workshops, and ignited interesting discussions.
Workshop homepage, Blogpost about DMoLD'13
- 2013-09-23: Of the four new PhD students joining the Department from September 2013, two (both supervised by V. Svátek) will join our teams of EU projects: Marek Dudáš (ontology visualization, incl. application on product ontologies) will work in the LOD2 project, and Jan Techl (benchmarking of NE recognition and linking) will work in the LinkedTV project.
- 2013-09-19 – 2013-09-21: Dr. Fazel Famili from NRC, Ottawa, Canada, visited our group and gave a course on the applied perspective of Knowledge Discovery and Management
Fazel's homepage, Course page
- 2013-09-12 – 2013-09-13: The EU LOD2 project successfully underwent its (third) annual review.
- 2013-09-06: Jindrich Mynarz and Vojtech Svatek showed as panelists at the (local) conference 'Semantic Web in Business'.
- 2013-08-31: The article 'Towards savvy adoption of semantic technology: From published use cases to category-specific adopter readiness models', by Marek Nekvasil and Vojtěch Svátek, was eventually published in Elsevier's Journal of Web Semantics.
Article page at ScienceDirect
- 2013-08-15: The long-awaited book, Vol.6 of the Umělá inteligence (Artificial Intelligence) series, eventually appeared; it is probably the most comprehensive book ever presenting to the Czech reader the topics of ontological engineering and semantic web (plus some others). Of its 13 chapters, five are co-authored by KEG members or closely collaborating alumni (P.Berka, M.Labský, J.Rauch, V.Svátek, M.Vacura and O.Zamazal).
UI6 book homepage at Academia publishing house
- 2013-06-19 – 2013-06-21: The local LinkedTV team (led by Tomáš Kliegr) hosted the plenary meeting of this EU project.
- 2013-06-11: Jiří Ivánek was appointed Full Professor of Informatics. Congratulations!
- 2013-06-05: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication, five awarded publications out of 15 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were Petr Berka (journal paper), Jan Rauch and Jiří Ivánek (in-book/proceedings papers)
and Tomáš Kliegr (PhD paper and PhD thesis).
- 2013-04-01: Jan Rauch was appointed as member of the Evaluation Panel for Computer Science, of the Czech Science Foundation (replacing Petr Berka).
List of the CSF panels
- 2013-03-13: The book 'Observational Calculi and Association Rules', authored by Jan Rauch, was published by Springer in the 'Studies in Computational Intelligence' series. Congratulations to this marvelous achievement, which collects the numerous theoretical results underlying, among other, the LISp-Miner and EasyMiner tools!
LISp-Miner homepage, EasyMiner homepage, http://www.springer.com/engineering/computational+intelligence+and+complexity/book/978-3-642-11736-7
- 2013-03-01: A new three-year project of the Internal Grant Agency of UEP "Research of factors affecting applicability of association rule mining algorithms", led by Tomáš Kliegr, is starting. The project aims to identify factors that limit applications of association rules. The research will focus particularly on the analysis of differences between association rule learning and the commercially more successful Online Analytical Processing (OLAP). The project involves experiments using the Easy Miner and LISp-Miner systems developed at UEP. These systems will be modified on the basis of research findings.
- 2013-02-06: The EU LinkedTV project completed its first year and underwent the annual review. A number of important research results in the intersection of web and TV fields has been achieved.
Short 1-year report on the project website
- 2013-01-24: Jindřich Mynarz (as emissary of the EU LOD2 project) gave an invited talk on applying Linked Open Data to public procurement, within the the EU Public Sector Information Group meeting on the EC premises in Luxembourg.
Blogpost on the meeting+talk
- 2012-12-13 – 2012-12-16: We enjoyed a very inspiring visit by Robert Stevens from the Bio-Health Informatics group at University of Manchester. Plans for joint research related to ontology patterns were set up.
- 2012-12-10 – 2012-12-14: Jerome David from INRIA Rhone-Alps visited us on the basis of the PatOMat project.
- 2012-12-06 – 2012-12-08: We enjoyed a reseach visit by colleagues from Univ. Mannheim - Christian Meilicke and Anne Schlicht. The visit was related to our joint research on ontology matching and transformation, carried out within the CSF Web Semantization and PatOMat projects (on the Czech side).
- 2012-11-17: Our PhD alumnus (and occasional collaborator) Marek Nekvasil is now father of a daughter, Anička. Congratulations!
- 2012-11-01: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication, six awarded publications out of 17 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were Petr Strossa (book), Petr Berka (journal paper), Jan Rauch, Milan Šimůnek, Ondřej Zamazal, Vojtěch Svátek (in-book/proceedings papers), Tomáš Kliegr and Andrej Hazucha (joint PhD paper), and Marek Nekvasil (PhD thesis).
- 2012-10-25: We enjoyed a visit of José Labra from the WESO group, Oviedo. We discussed topics related to Linked Data, Onological Engineering as well as Data Mining.
WESO Group homepage
- 2012-10-12: The collection of PatOMat tools (by Ondřej Zamazal and Marek Dudáš), linked to the paper "User-Friendly Pattern-Based Transformation of OWL Ontologies" obtained the Best Demo Paper award at EKAW 2012!
- 2012-09-20: Two new PhD students enrolled. Jindřich Mynarz (supervized by V. Svátek) will research on matchmaking on the web of data. Viktor Nekvapil's topic (under the guidance of J. Rauch) is related to data mining applied in SMEs.
- 2012-08-30 – 2012-08-31: Fred Freitas from the Federal University of Permabuco, Brazil, visited us and gave a talk, on the basis of the Web Semantization project.
Seminar talk page
- 2012-06-21: Jáchym Zamazal was born - so, Ondřej is now father of three sons! Big congratulations!
- 2012-06-04: Petr Nálevka successfully defended his PhD thesis "Improving efficiency of prevention in telemedicine" (essentially, on mining from sparse temporal data in the psychiatric domain).
- 2012-06-04 – 2012-06-05: Lorenz Buhmann from the University of Leipzig visited us in the context of PatOMat and LOD2 projects. The main outcome of the visit was progress in the integration of PatOMat technology into the ORE tool.
ORE tool website
- 2012-06-02: Our PhD alumnus (and still occasional collaborator) Marek Nekvasil is now a happy maried man, too! He married Lenka Kaderová in front of the Blatná castle.
- 2012-05-31: Milan Šimůnek successfully defended his habilitation (based on the research around the LISp-Miner system) and became Associate Professor.
- 2012-05-30: The fourth edition of the KEG orienteering event took place in Hostivař. Although there were 11 KEG-related creatures present (including 2 wives, 5 kids and 1 dog), only two of them were officially part of the race. The winner was Klára Labská - probably thanks to stronger moral support by Martin, Týna sleeping in his arms, and Kačka constantly fluttering around. She eventually beat David Chudán by cca 5 minutes.
Results (of the larger event; for KEG folks see the category T3 near the end)
- 2012-05-29 – 2012-06-01: We enjoyed a fruitful visit of our Slovak partners in the LAAOS project - M.Homola, J.Kluka, M.Čertický and A.Šimko. Plans for research in the intersection of ontological engineering and logics were set up.
- 2012-05-21 – 2012-05-24: Three students from our group (M.Dudáš, V.Ovčáčík and A.Pouzar) visited M.Hepp's group at Univ. of Bundeswehr, Munich, in the context of the Web Semantization project. The joint research with German partners mainly concerned product ontology modelling and information extraction in the e-commerce domain.
- 2012-05-15: We enjoyed a short visit (and seminar talk) by Francois Scharffe from University of Montpellier, in connection with the PatOMat and LOD2 projects.
- 2012-05-03: KEG has 10 years! As the visible starting point was taken the first KEG seminar on April 24, 2002; however, the celebration was held on May 3, when one of the speakers of the 1st seminar, Milan Šimůnek, gave a fresh talk again. The record includes e.g. 10 EU projects obtained, 185 seminars held, numerous successful PhD defences etc.
Seminars page (click on the photo for larger image of the KEG's birthday party)
- 2012-04-07: A paper on the MultiFarm benchmark, co-authored by an international team including O.Zamazal and V.Svátek, was accepted to the prestigious Journal of Web Semantics.
Elsevier's link to the article
- 2012-04-02: A bilateral project with the Comenius University (Bratislava, Slovakia) was officially declared as funded.
KR group's website
- 2012-03-19: An important event for the national Semantic Technology community came: the Znalosti conference (co-founded by KEG members in 2001) will now be collocated with its Database Technology counterpart, Datakon. This reflects the tighter connection between semantics and large data processing as well as the growing amount of semantic tools usable in practice. The Znalosti 2012 website is up, and provisionally hosted at one of KEG-related servers.
Web of Znalosti 2012
- 2012-02-28: Our LOD2 project team participates in the organization of a one-day Open Data conference held in the Parliament of the Czech Republic, Chamber of Deputies.
Blogpost about the event
- 2012-02-24: A new series of practice-oriented (Web Engineering) seminars is starting under the name "Web Inkognito". The talks will be given in Czech or English, and are open to wide audience, although the original target are students who want to deepen their knowledge from regular courses on this topic.
- 2012-02-13 – 2012-02-17: Jirka Kosek convened a meeting of the W3C XSLT and XQuery working groups.
- 2012-02-10 – 2012-02-12: Jirka Kosek (as PC Chair) is organising the annual XML Prague conference in UEP premises.
- 2012-01-01: Ondřej Zamazal returned, with his family, from the 6-month post-doc research internship in Mannheim, and resumed full-time position at UEP.
- 2012-01-01: David Chudán joined the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems as half-time Researcher, and Stanislav Vojíř is now full-time. Both are pursuing their PhD study at the same time.
- 2012-01-01: One more FP7 project started: the LT-Web (Language Technology in the Web) CSA, with Jirka Kosek as Participant Coordinator and actual co-worker.
Project factsheet at CORDIS
- 2011-12-31: Partial list of conferences attended by KEG members in the second half of 2011: ACM KDD, ISMIS, ISWC, Web Reasoning and Rule Systems, IEEE Granular Computing, IEEE ICDKE, Datakon, Znalosti.
2011 publication listing (for the Dept. - not guaranteed to cover all KEG members publications)
- 2011-12-07 – 2011-12-08: We enjoyed a short visit of Uwe Stoll from the University of Bundeswehr, Munich. We discussed our cooperation within the Web Semantization project, with particular focus on Information Extraction from eCommerce websites.
- 2011-11-24: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication, five awarded publications out of 21 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were Jan Rauch (twice: for a journal paper and an in-book paper), Tomáš Kliegr (twice: for a journal paper and a PhD paper), Vojtěch Svátek, Martin Ralbovský and Milan Šimůnek (all three for a journal paper), Ondřej Zamazal (for his PhD thesis) and Radek Palovský (for a textbook).
Year 2010 Dean Award announcement
- 2011-11-22: In 2011 the KEG team was again successful in the Rector's Award for best publication: the JIIS article "SEWEBAR-CMS: semantic analytical report authoring for data mining results" was placed 3rd in the article category, and the PIKM paper "Entity Classification by Bag of Wikipedia Articles" was placed 2nd in the PhD student publication category. (Tomáš Kliegr was the lead author of the former and the only author of the latter.)
2011 Article award page, 2011 PhD award page
- 2011-10-28 – 2011-11-02: The baby boom at KEG continues! Now with two little ladies: Magdalénka Hazuchová on Oct 28 and Kristýnka Labská on Nov 2. (Never mind Jakoubek Praks born Oct 10 - his father Pavel Praks is our respected project alumnus...)
- 2011-10-18: After some hesitation, František Květoslav Kliegr decided to be born! Hurrah!
- 2011-10-01: A new EU FP7 project with KEG team participation (Tomáš Kliegr as Scientific Representative etc.) is starting. It is an Integrated project called LinkedTV (for: Television Linked to the Web), to run till end March 2015.
LinkedTV record at Cordis
- 2011-09-21: Three new PhD students joined the group: Stanislav Vojíř, Jan Procháček and Ondřej Vadinský
- 2011-09-12 – 2011-09-18: Vojtěch Svátek is giving a lecture at the 'Indian-Summer School on Linked Data' in Leipzig
Summer school page
- 2011-09-01: The KEG team officially joined the EU LOD2 project, as full partner (University of Economics) and leader of a new workpackage addressing a Public Procurement use case of Linked Data. It will be strongly supported by colleagues from the Charles University XRG and the OpenData.cz project
Homepage of XML RG at Charles Univ., LOD2 project website, OpenData.cz website
- 2011-08-22 – 2011-09-03: Dr. Fazel Famili from NRCC, Canada, visited our group and gave a course on special topics in Knowledge Discovery in Databases
- 2011-08-08: As follow-up to the EU K-Space project, a book was published by Wiley, under the name 'Multimedia Semantics: Metadata, Analysis and Interaction'. Three members of KEG (P.Berka, J.Nemrava, V.Svátek and M.Vacura) co-authored three different chapters of it.
Book page at Wiley
- 2011-07-01: Ondřej Zamazal is starting a 6-month post-doc internship at the University of Mannheim. The internship is supported by a grant received from the German agency DAAD - congratulations!
- 2011-07-01: After a successful MSc. defense, Stanislav Vojíř is joining the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems as Research Assistant.
- 2011-06-30: Incomplete list of conferences where KEG members presented talks in the first half of 2011: Znalosti (High Tatras), InTech (Rijeka), Inforum (Prague). The main conference season seems to be Autumn this year for us...
2011 publication listing (for the Dept. - not guaranteed to cover all KEG members publications)
- 2011-06-27 – 2011-07-01: An intensive course on Ontological Foundations for Conceptual Modeling with Applications was given by Dr. Giancarlo Guizzardo from UFES, Brazil. The course was organised by our neighbour OpenSoul group; however, several KEG members attended the course and had an opportunity to discuss joint topics of interest with Giancarlo (and his wife Renata).
Course description, OpenSoul site
- 2011-06-24: Jan Rauch was eventually appointed to Full Professor (by the President of the Republic). Big congratulations!
- 2011-06-01: The third edition of the KEG orienteering event took place in the Ládví area in the north of Prague, with five participants this time. The top positions were dominated by the Kliegr family :-)
Detailed results (for KEG)
- 2011-05-27: David Chudán married Martina Říhová. Congratulations!
Wedding day website
- 2011-05-17 – 2011-05-18: Dr. Johanna Völker, from Universität Mannheim Germany, visited our group. We discussed our common topics of interest in semantic web and ontological engineering.
Johanna Völker's web-page
- 2011-04-06: Prof. Martin Hepp from Universität der Bundeswehr München Germany, visited our group and gave a talk at (an extraordinary, Wednesday 11am issue of) the KEG seminar.
Semanti–CS wiki, Martin Hepp's page, Seminar talk page, APEK homepage
- 2011-03-07 – 2011-03-09: KEG is hosting the plenary meeting of the EU FP7 PetaMedia (Network of Excellence) project
- 2011-03-07: Marek Nekvasil successfully defended his PhD thesis titled 'Evaluation of Semantic Applications for Enterprises', meanwhile also transformed into a book published by Lambert Academic Publishing. Congratulations! Marek is now working full-time in Adastra, where he keeps actively exploring the possibility of applying semantic technologies in real environments.
Marek's book record at Amazon, Adastra CZ web page
- 2011-03-01: A new two-year project of the Internal Grant Agency of UEP, no.26/2011, "Local mining of association rules using the GUHA method in the cloud", is starting. The project among other aims to interlink two long-term software development projects, SEWEBAR and LM-Grid.
The team, consisting of 2 researchers and 10 graduate students, will be led by Tomáš Kliegr and Jan Rauch.
SEWEBAR project website
- 2011-03-01: A new one-year project of the Internal Grant Agency of UEP, no.10/2011, "Semantic interlinking of government data", is starting. The team, consisting of 7 researchers and 4 undergraduate students, will be led by Vojtěch Svátek.
- 2011-02-24: Vilém Sklenák successfully defended his habilitation and became Associate Professor (docent in the Czech system). Congratulations!
- 2011-02-24: Vojtěch Svátek was appointed as Specialty Guarantor (responsible for the specialty research directions and quality of graduates) of the Informatics PhD specialty, the largest of the three specialties at the Faculty (encompassing more than 100 PhD students and more than 20 PhD advisors).
- 2011-01-31: Within the Znalosti'11 conference in High Tatras, KEG members organised a F2F meeting of the Semanti-CS initiative.
Semanti–CS wiki, Meeting minutes
- 2011-01-20: The national paper Hospodářské noviny published an article on recently stated cooperation between KEG and the XML group at Charles University addressing semantization of public contract management and matchmaking.
Online version of the article, Homepage of XML RG at Charles Univ.
- 2010-11-26: KEG represented UEP at Scientia Pragensis - a joint exposition of science achievements of five Prague-based universities. Jan Rauch's talk on knowledge discovery from databases was one of the two UEP's lectures, and the demo stand on 'Intelligent web' managed by Tomáš Kliegr was one of the four stands.
Jan Rauch's lecture synopsis (in Czech), UEP's stands (in Czech)
- 2010-11-11: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication, two awarded publications out of 18 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were Petr Berka and Jan Rauch, both in the 'proceedings paper' category. (Less than usual, let's hope we'll score better next time!)
Year 2009 Dean Award announcement
- 2010-11-03: The 'whitepaper' of the SEWEBAR-CMS project, entitled 'SEWEBAR-CMS: semantic analytical report authoring for data mining results', appeared in Journal of Intelligent Information Systems from Springer.
SEWEBAR project website, Online version of the paper
- 2010-10-21 – 2010-10-23: SEWEBAR-CMS received a runner-up award at the RuleML Challenge 2010 held in Washington D.C. SEWEBAR-CMS is a system for postprocessing data mining models developed by KEG members.
RuleML challenge program
- 2010-10-15: Within the EKAW conference in Lisbon, Vojtěch Svátek co-organised the 1st Workshop on Knowledge Injection into and Extraction from Linked Data.
- 2010-10-04 – 2010-10-06: Milan Vachovec and Vojtěch Svátek visited Martin Hepp's group at the University of Bundeswehr, Munich. The visit was related to the CSF Web Semantization project.
Martin Hepp's page
- 2010-10-01: Andrej Hazucha (in connection with his PhD study) got a half-time researcher position at the Lab. of Intelligent Systems
- 2010-10-01: Jindra Mynarz returned from his summer internship in DERI Galway (R.Cyganiak's group). He will now work towards completing his MSc thesis related to (hopefully also Czech?) Linked Government Data.
Jindra's DERI record
- 2010-09-30: Ondřej Zamazal and Tomáš Kliegr got a 4-year, half-time Lecturer contract at the Department of Information and Knowledge Engineering (in addition to their Researcher position at LISp). Congratulations!
- 2010-09-29: Two successful PhD defences of prominent KEG members took place. Jan Nemrava's was on 'Semantics in Multimedia: Event detection and cross-media feature extraction'. Ondrej Zamazal's was on 'Pattern-based Ontology Matching and Ontology Alignment Evaluation'.
- 2010-09-21: Czech and Slovak semantic initiative Semanti–CS had a conf. call today. Among other proposed tasks a new Czech–written blog has been setup. We will post updates about our work on it.
Semanti–CS wiki, Semanti–CS: Blog česko–slovenské sémantické iniciativy
- 2010-09-20: Two new PhD students joined the group. Andrej Hazucha will focus on enriching CMS content by semantic information, and Milan Vachovec will study semantic web technologies for e-commerce.
- 2010-08-27: Petr Berka and Jan Rauch presented a tutorial on "Machine learning and association rules" at the 19th International Conference on Computational Statistics (Compstat'10) in Paris
Compstat 2010 homepage, Compstat tutorials
- 2010-08-09: One more little Zamazal was born! His first name is Jeroným, and he makes the family busy and happy.
- 2010-07-03: The wedding season continues! Dušan Rak married Lubomíra Klobušiaková.
- 2010-06-19: Tomáš Kliegr married Lucia Némethyová. The wedding took place in Pardubice, East Bohemia. Big congratulations!
- 2010-06-09: The second annual KEG orienteering event was held in the Hvězda park in the western outskirt of Prague; it was informally hosted as part of the T3 track of the famous "Zaket PPZ" event. There were three participants - David Chudán, Tomáš Kliegr and Ondra Zamazal, aside Vojta Svátek as (also running) organizer and Radek Palovský as photographer. No winner this time, as all three brave men participated under some special circumstances ;-)
2010 Orienteering in Hvězda - detailed results for KEG, Complete results for PPZ Hvězda 2010, Homepage of Zaket PPZ
- 2010-05-05 – 2010-05-07: Vojta Svátek and Mirek Vacura visited the STLab at CNR, Rome. The discussion concerned collaboration in the field of ontology design patterns, within the PatOMat project.
- 2010-05-01: A new two-year EU PSP project "Multilingual Web" is starting. Local Contact Person is Jirka Kosek.
MultilingualWeb project homepage
- 2010-04-15: W3C published Working Group Note "Associating Schemas with XML documents 1.0" which was co-edited by Jirka Kosek.
- 2010-03-16 – 2010-03-18: Jirka Kosek hosted a meeting of the W3C DAP WG, in connection with the XML Prague 2010 conference, which he co-organised.
XMLPrague 2010 homepage
- 2010-03-08 – 2010-03-12: Jirka Kosek hosted a meeting of the W3C XSL WG.
Info about the meeting
- 2010-03-03 – 2010-03-11: Tomáš Kliegr visited QMUL, London, in connection with the EU PetaMedia project. In this project UEP (as ad hoc partner) and QMUL will cooperate within an internal IRP (Integrative Research Project) dealing with mining textual resources complementary to multimedia.
- 2010-03-01: A new one-year project of the Internal Grant Agency of UEP, no.15/2010, "Domain Knowledge for Knowledge Discovery from Databases", is starting. The team, consisting of 6 researchers and 6 undergraduate students, will be led by Tomáš Kliegr.
SEWEBAR project website
- 2010-02-25 – 2010-02-26: Francois Scharffe from INRIA Rhone-Alps visited us in the context of the PatOMat project. We discussed further collaboration in the fields of ontology matching and ontology patterns.
- 2010-02-22: Aristotelis A. Triantafyllopoulos, student from the University of Patras, Greece, is joining the group for a 3-month ERASMUS training in Knowledge Engineering.
- 2010-02-15: After successful completion of his MSc, Václav Belák started a 3-month internship at DERI, NUIG Galway, in Conor Hayes' group.
UIMR group website
- 2010-02-04: Martin Labský gave an invited talk about "Information Extraction Based on Extraction Ontologies" at the Znalosti Conference
Ex project, Znalosti 2010
- 2010-02-04: Semanti–CS – new Czech and Slovak Semantic Web initiative was presented on the conference Znalosti 2010 in Jindřichův Hradec. We are looking for applications, websites, RDF datasources and other interested people.
Semanti–CS on Twitter, Semanti–CS on Facebook, Semanti–CS wiki
- 2010-02-01: Once more we had a short visit by Daniel Schober from Freiburg. This time we discussed concrete steps towards exposing ontology naming conventions on the ODP portal.
- 2009-12-14 – 2009-12-16: Václav Belák visiten F. van Harmelen's group at VU Amsterdam. He gave a talk on the Ontopolis.net project, and discussed possible cooperation.
- 2009-11-30: Two new 3-year CSF projects were accepted for funding, starting in January 2010: "PatOMat - Automation of Ontology Pattern Detection and Exploitation" (Vojtěch Svátek as Principal Investigator) and "Web Semantization" (Vojtěch Svátek as Co-Investigator; Principal Investigator is Peter Vojtáš from Charles University, and another Co-Investigator is Roman Špánek from the Comp.Sci.Institute, Academy of Science).
- 2009-11-27: We had a very short visit from the University of Freiburg: Daniel Schober, expert in biomedical ontologies. We mainly discussed ontology entity naming issues.
OBO Foundry naming conventions
- 2009-11-25 – 2009-11-27: Ondřej Šváb-Zamazal visited the group of H.Stuckenschmidt at the University of Mannheim, in connection with joint work on ontology alignment.
- 2009-11-24: Marek Nekvasil was again successful (now 2nd place) in the annual Rector's Award for best publication by PhD students at UEP.
2009 Rector Award announcement
- 2009-11-19: Martin Ralbovský successfully defended his PhD thesis on fuzzification of the GUHA data mining method. Congratulations! Martin is now moving from KEG 'regular member' status to 'alumnus' status (working full-time in the banking industry), while we'll hopefully keep ample research contacts with him, especially regarding future developments of the Ferda system.
- 2009-11-16: Tomáš Kliegr was awarded the prestigious Hlávka Award for talented students.
Media article on award ceremony
- 2009-10-25: Vojtěch Svátek co-organised the first Workshop on Ontology Patterns - WOP2009, at ISWC'09 in the Washington DC area (US).
WOP 2009 website
- 2009-10-22: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication five awarded publications out of 17 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were: Petr Berka, Tomáš Kliegr, Jirka Kosek, Martin Labský, Marek Nekvasil, and Jan Rauch.
Year 2008 Dean Award announcement
- 2009-10-22: About 15 KEG folks flocked together for an informal dinner party in the Království pub in Žižkov (near UEP). Tasty beer, solid cuisine, and great discussion about future professional and private plans!
Grandiózní restaurant Království
- 2009-10-06: The KEG website is on again, after some two months of absence due to a serious hardware failure. Now on a new, more powerful and hopefully stable hardware platform.
- 2009-10-01: A new PhD student, Michal Kováč, specialist in data mining, logic and software engineering, joint the group (under the supervision of Jan Rauch).
- 2009-10-01: Vojtěch Svátek co-edited (together with another 7 people) the book "Knowledge Discovery Enhanced with Semantic and Social Information", published by Springer in the "Studies in Computational Intelligence" series.
- 2009-09-19: Martin Ralbovský married Eliška Svobodová. Quite an impressive South-Moravian wedding!
Eliška a Martin
- 2009-09-15: Ondřej Šváb–Zamazal returned from his 6–month PhD internship in INRIA Rhone–Alps, to obtain a researcher position in the Lab of Intelligent Systems in October.
- 2009-09-14 – 2009-09-17: The group organised the 18th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS-2009), with proceedings published by Springer in LNCS. Jan Rauch was Conference Chair, Petr Berka was Program Co-Chair, Vojtěch Svátek was Workshop Chair, and many other KEG members were involved in the organisation.
ISMIS 2009 website
- 2009-06-11: Two Martins became Doctors! Martin Labský defended his PhD thesis on information extraction from websites using extraction ontologies. Martin Kejkula defended his PhD thesis on postprocessing association rules hypotheses.
- 2009-05-31 – 2009-06-04: At the ESWC-2009 conference, held in Crete, Vojtěch Svátek co-organised the International Workshop on Inductive Reasoning and Machine Learning on the Semantic Web (IRMLeS), and co-presented the tutorial on "Extreme Design: Pattern-Based Ontology Design".
- 2009-05-28: Vojtěch Svátek was a round table speaker at the 8th European Forum for Science and Technology, Prague. The topic was Czech participation in EU Framework Programmes.
- 2009-05-27: The first historical KEG Orienteering Cup took place in Krčský les (in the suburb of Prague). Martin Ralbovský was clear winner. Further placement: 2. Hanna Eerola, 3. David Chudán, 4. Tomáš Kliegr, 5. Martin Kavalec, 6. Václav Belák.
- 2009-05-19: Hanna Eerola, MSc student from the Tampere University of Technology, joint KEG for a 3.5-month long internship. She will work on medical applications of GUHA-based data mining.
- 2009-04-27: Petr Berka celebrated his fifties - congratulations!
- 2009-04-24: The first review (for 2007–2008) of the long–term project MSM6138439910 of the Ministry of Education, "Methods of knowledge acquisition from data and their use in economical decision-making" which is the funding resource for a large part of KEG activities, was succesfully completed.
Výzkumný záměr MSM6138439910 - Metody získávání znalostí z dat a jejich využití v ekonomickém rozhodování (2007-2013, MSM)
- 2009-04-16: Martin Labský became father of daughter Kateřina. Congratulations!
- 2009-04-10: Petr Berka was nominated as member of the Evaluation Panel for Informatics, of the Czech Science Foundation.
CSF Panel composition
- 2009-03-19: The final review of the K-Space NoE (http://kspace.qmul.net:8080/kspace/), one of the most prominent EU projects of KEG, successfully took place in Dublin.
- 2009-03-02: Ondřej Šváb-Zamazal went on 6-month PhD internship to INRIA Rhone-Alps (group of J. Euzenat), in the framework of long-term cooperation in the ontology matching area.
- 2009-02-26: Tomáš Kliegr won the 1st prize at the annual PhD Students\' Day of Faculty of Informatics and Statistics, with his talk on searching non-monotonic utility functions in web analytics (see http://fis.vse.cz/?page_id=259).
- 2009-02-02: Valentina Presutti from STLab, ISTC-CNR, gave a tutorial on Pattern-Based Ontology Design. Details in http://keg.vse.cz/wf/izireg/.
- 2009-02-01: Petr Berka and Jan Rauch co-edited (together with D.A.Zighed) the book "Data Mining and Medical Knowledge Management: Cases and Applications", published by IGI Global.
- 2008-12-15 – 2008-12-16: We enjoyed a visit of Krishna Chandramouli from the Multimedia and Vision Research Group, Queen Mary College, University of London.
- 2008-11-16: Martin Ralbovský was awarded the prestigious Hlávka Award for talented students.
- 2008-11-06: Within the annual Rector's Award for best publication by PhD students at UEP, Marek Nekvasil was placed first with his paper from the BIS conference.
2008 Rector Award announcement
- 2008-10-30: Within the annual Dean's Award for Best Publication (http://fis.vse.cz/?page_id=219), seven awarded publications out of 21 were co-authored by KEG members. The awarded authors were: Petr Berka (2 publications), Jirka Kosek, Martin Labský (2 publications), Petr Nálevka, Martin Ralbovský, Jan Rauch, Vojtěch Svátek, Miroslav Vacura and Ondřej Zamazal.
- 2008-10-26 – 2008-11-30: At this year's International Semantic Web Conference, the Semaplorer system from Koblenz University (KU), see http://btc.isweb.uni-koblenz.de, was announced as winner of the Billion Triple Challenge. KEG had a (minor) contribution to this success, as parts of the code used by the application were developed by Jan Zemánek and Josef Petrák within the cooperation between UEP and KU in the EU K-Space project.
- 2008-10-13 – 2008-10-14: We enjoyed a visit by Paul Buitelaar from DFKI, Germany.
- 2008-10-09: Some 15 folks joint an improvised KEG-Day with discussion on future research direction as well as a bit of social programme (incl. tidying up our 413NB office a bit).
- 2008-10-08: We enjoyed a visit by Thomas Schneider from the University of Manchester.
- 2008-09-27: Vojtěch Svátek gave a 'visionary' talk on selected trends of semantic technologies till 2014 (just by co-incidence, very similar to the new research directions of KEG ;-)) at the 1st Roadmapping Workshop "Semantics 2029" (RW'08) organised by STI2 in Vienna.
- 2008-09-24: Two new courses closely linked to the research at KEG started at UEP. Jan Nemrava is the lecturer of Web Mining (http://isis.vse.cz/katalog/syllabus.pl?jazyk=3;predmet=42272) and Mirek Vacura is the lecturer of Knowledge and Ontological Engineering (http://isis.vse.cz/katalog/syllabus.pl?predmet=42122).
- 2008-09-19: A new full-time PhD student, David Chudan, joined the group.
- 2008-09-12: We enjoyed a flash visit by Heiner Stuckenschmidt and Christian Meilicke from the University of Mannheim
- 2008-08-15: And a third son in a row: Ondřej Šváb-Zamazal became father of son Jan! Congratulations again!
- 2008-06-16: And another child at once: Marek Růžička became father of son Samuel! Congratulations!
- 2008-05-30: Jirka Kosek became father of son Jirka. Congratulations!
- 2008-04-17: We celebrated the 100th KEG seminar. See the anniversary cake on the seminar page!
- 2008-03-15: UEP (via KEG) joint STI2 – Semantic Technology Institute International (www.sti2.org).
- 2008-02-19 – 2008-02-21: Jirka Kosek hosted a meeting of the W3C XSL WG.
- 2008-02-10: Jan Rauch celebrated his 60, as well as having been 15 years at the Department, congratulations!
- 2008-02-07: Martin Ralbovský was 2nd in annual contest of 'Faculty of Informatics and Statistics' called 'The day of PhD students' with his contribution 'Meaningful multirelational 4FT hypotheses'. Congratulations!
- 2008-01-21: Tomáš Kliegr started a 5–month PhD internship at Queen Mary, University of London, focused on image query disambiguation.
- 2007-12-14: Tomáš Kliegr was placed 2 out of 123 in the prestigious Enterpreneurship idea contest (www.soutezomilion.cz) with his proposal on "Click–fraud detection in PPC advertising". Congratulations!
- 2007-12-12 – 2007-12-13: Vojta Svátek presented the profile of KEG at the FP7 ICT Call 3 Info Days in Luxembourg.
- 2007-12-10 – 2007-12-14: We enjoyed the visit of Marcin Grzegorzek, postdoc from QMUL, within the EU K–Space project exchange scheme.
- 2007-12-09: Ondra Šváb–Zamazal and Martin Ralbovský were awarded the Rector' Annual Prize for PhD Student Publications (at ESWC and ICDM, respectively). They are the two out of four recipients of the prize this year, University–wide! Congratulations!
- 2007-12-08: Petr Berka became father of twins Filip and Lukáš. Congratulations! Now he has four kids, brave man…
- 2007-12-07: Martin Švihla successfully defended his PhD thesis on "Transforming Relational Data into Ontology–Based RDF Data", at the CTU Prague. Congratulations!
- 2007-12-06: Tomáš Kliegr was nominated between the top 10 (out of 63) and awarded in the Start–up of the Year contest (www.startuproku.cz) with his proposal in the Web Analytics domain. Congratulations!
- 2007-12-01: Vojta Svátek reached 40, quite an old guy now!
- 2007-11-30: At the Scientia Pragensis research popularisation event, one of the two tutorials from UEP was presented by Petr Strossa (on web–based QA) and one of the two posters was that presenting the activities of KIZI & KEG.
- 2007-11-24: Jan Rauch's five–year CSF project on "Application of Knowledge Engineering Methods in KDD" was approved for funding, congratulations!
- 2007-11-12 – 2007-11-16: Josef Petrák visited Steffen Staab's group at Koblenz university to contribute to the development of Networked Graphs and distributed queries within the EU K–Space project.
- 2007-10-27: Ondra Šváb had got married, and became Zamazal. Congratulations!
- 2007-10-22 – 2007-10-23: KEG hosted the meeting of the EU MedIEQ project.
- 2007-10-07: Jan Nemrava started his PhD internship in DFKI Saarbrücken.
- 2007-10-02 – 2007-10-04: Jirka Kosek hosted a meeting of the W3C WG on Internationalization Tag Set (ITS).
- 2007-10-01: Jan Zemánek returned from his summer internship in DERI Galway.